Here in Calgary, and in other places around the world, we are in lockdown again, and despite not being as intense as it was in Spring, it’s definitely strict in that we can’t socialize in person.
So what activities can we do if we are alone at home, unable to leave the house?
Here’s a compilation of Christmas-y activities to enjoy from the comfort of your screen
- Third Church of Christ, Scientist in New York City is hosting a lecture on December 24th. Christmas? It’s All About Love! by Lona Ingwerson, CS will stream on December 24 at 5.30pm MT Cost: FREE. You can learn more and watch HERE
- Replay HERE anytime the lecture hosted by our church given by Philip Hockley “A New View of God and Its Effects on Well-being”
- If you are on Instagram, join us starting December 19 for 15 days of Christ and Christmas, reading Mary Baker Eddy’s poem one stanza a day. You can join us HERE
- Join an online celebration of Christmas with Madelon Maupin this upcoming Tuesday, December 22 at 5pm MT, at a challenging time in our history — when too many crises would try to drown out this light of Christ that has always been present to save a weary world. She will look at the story Christians have been telling and rejoicing in through the centuries, seeing how it applies to our times. There will be a PowerPoint with handouts for those who register. Cost: USD10. Register HERE
MUSIC AND THEATER
- The Calgary Philarmonic Orchestra is still streaming its Holiday Favourites with the Calgary Phil. This is a virtual concert that you can stream anytime, as many times as you want for a month. Cost: FREE (donations are welcome). You can register HERE
- The Calgary Opera is already streaming it’s Yuletide Sessions featuring a program of seasonal favourites blended with beloved classical masterworks, this warm and intimate concert brings the great tradition of ringing in the holidays with a spirited musical performance directly to your home. Streaming ends January 3 so you can re watch as many times as your want. Cost: $10 per device. Buy tickets HERE
- Theatre Calgary filmed a live performance of the classic A Christmas Carol that you can watch as many times as you want until December 31. Cost: $25. Read more about it and buy your ticket HERE
- Moon Jelly Cam! The Monterey Bay Aquarium streams greater Pacific moon jellies (Aurelia labiata) move with the current as they pulse their delicate, translucent bells in their Drifters gallery with quiet music. Moon Jelly Cam is live every day from 8am to 8pm MT Cost: FREE (they accept donations to support their animals) Watch HERE
We’ll keep on adding activities as we find them. Share your suggestions in the comments!